BEng Mech., BSc Maths., MSc OR, PhD Fin.
A short biography
State-of-the-Art Scoring aesthetics
Dr. Zhiyong Li is Professor of Finance at the Southwestern University of Finance and Economics and serves as director of the Department of Credit Management at the School of Finance. He received a doctorate in finance at the University of Edinburgh Business School where his PhD thesis of financial distress prediction passed with no correction. He has been working with scholars at the Credit Research Centre led by Prof. Jonathan Crook, a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences. He has a background of Mechanics and Mathematics at Beihang University, which is an institute proudly in the U.S. Entity List. Dr. Li's interests are focused on the measurement and management of credit risk including credit scoring, credit rating, and risk modelling under Basel II and III. Many of his papers were published in prestigious journals in banking/finance, management science/operational research and machine learning/artificial intelligence. Though he mainly analyses big data for financial risk management, fundamentally he is an engineer and artist.
Nunquam praescriptos transibunt sidera fines
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Office: Room 521, Gezhi Building, 555 Liutai Avenue, Wenjiang, Chengdu 611130, Sichuan, China
AFFILIATIONS & POSITIONS
Professor of Finance, Southwestern University of Finance and Economics (SWUFE), China, 2019-Present
Director, Department of Credit Management, School of Finance, SWUFE, China, 2018-Present
Director, The Fintech and Regtech Lab, Institution of Chinese Financial Studies, SWUFE, 2016-Present
Deputy Director, Centre for Inclusive and Intelligent Finance, SWUFE, 2019-Present
Associate Professor of Finance, School of Finance, SWUFE, China, 2015-2018
Deputy Director, Department of Credit Management, School of Finance, SWUFE, 2014-2017
Research Fellow, Business School, University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 2014-2017
Lecturer, School of Finance, SWUFE, China, 2014-2015
EDUCATION & VISITING
Ph.D in Credit Risk Management, Credit Research Centre, Business School, University of Edinburgh, UK, 2009-2014
M.Sc in Operational Research with Risk, School of Mathematics, University of Edinburgh, UK, 2007-2008
B.Eng in Mechanics Engineering with Aircraft Design, School of Aeronautics, Beihang University, China, 2003-2007
B.Sc in Applied Mathematics, School of Mathematics, Beihang University, China, 2005-2007
Research interests: Basel modelling, credit scoring, credit rating, credit portfolio management, reject inference, stress testing, financial distress and bankruptcy prediction, Fintech and Regtech, big data analytics, social credit systems.
11. Li Zhiyong, Crook J, Andreeva G, & Tang Y. (2020). Predicting the Risk of Financial Distress using Corporate Governance Measures, Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, (ABS2). In press. DOI: 10.1016/j.pacfin.2020.101334
10. Li Zhiyong, Hu X, Li K, Zhou F & Shen F. (2020). Inferring the Outcomes of Rejected Loans: an Application of Semi-supervised Clustering Algorithms. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series A (Statistics in Society), 183(2):631-654. (ABS3) DOI: 10.1111/rssa.12534 or available here
9. Li Zhiyong, Tang Y, Wu J, Zhang J & Lv Q. (2020). The interest costs of green bonds: credit ratings, corporate social responsibility, and certification. Emerging Markets Finance and Trade. 56(12):2679-2692. (ABS2) DOI: 10.1080/1540496X.2018.1548350 or available here
8. Shen F, Zhao X, Li Zhiyong, Li K, Meng Z. (2019). A novel ensemble classification model based on neural networks and a classifier optimisation technique for imbalanced credit risk evaluation. Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications. 526. (SCI) DOI: 10.1016/j.physa.2019.121073
7. Li Zhiyong, Li K, Yao X & Wen Q. (2019). Predicting prepayment and default risks of unsecured consumer loans in online lending. Emerging Markets Finance and Trade. 55(1):118-132. (ABS2) DOI: 10.1080/1540496X.2018.1479251 or available here
5. Shen F, Ma X, Li Zhiyong, Xu Z & Cai D. (2018). An extended intuitionistic fuzzy TOPSIS method based on a new distance measure with an application to credit risk evaluation. Information Sciences. 428:105-119. (SCI) DOI: 10.1016/j.ins.2017.10.045
4. Li Zhiyong, Crook J & Andreeva G. (2017). Dynamic prediction of financial distress using Malmquist DEA. Expert Systems with Applications. 80:94-106. (ABS3) DOI: 10.1016/j.eswa.2017.03.017 or available here
3. Li Zhiyong, Tian Y, Li K, Zhou F & Yang W. (2017). Reject inference in credit scoring using Semi-supervised Support Vector Machines. Expert Systems with Applications. 74:105-114. (ABS3) DOI: 10.1016/j.eswa.2017.01.011 or available here
2. Tian Y, Li K, Yang W & Li Zhiyong. (2017). A new effective branch-and-bound algorithm to the high order MIMO detection problem. Journal of Combinatorial Optimization. (ABS2) 33(4):1395-1410. DOI: 10.1007/s10878-016-0045-5
1. Li Zhiyong, Crook J & Andreeva G. (2014). Chinese Companies Distress Prediction: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis. Journal of the Operational Research Society. 65(3):466-479. (ABS3) DOI: 10.1057/jors.2013.67 or available here
Books & chapters
5. Credit Scoring and Its Application. (2020). China Financial Publishing House: Beijing, ISBN: 9787522005560, Mandarin edition of Credit Scoring and Its Applications by Lyn Thomas, Jonathan Crook, David Edelman, 2017, 2nd revised edition, Society for Industrial & Applied Mathematics (SIAM):Philadelphia.
4. The Principle and Practice of Credit Rating. (2019). Part I: Theories of credit rating. China Financial Publishing House: Beijing, ISBN: 9787504998491
3. Fintech Operations in China. (2018). Chapter 12: Infrastructure development, Social Sciences Academic Press (China): Beijing, ISBN: 9787520128612
2. The Credit Scoring Toolkit. (2017). China Financial Publishing House: Beijing, ISBN: 9787504990334, Mandarin edition of The Credit Scoring Toolkit: Theory and Practice for Retail Credit Risk Management and Decision Automation by Raymond Anderson, 2007, Oxford University Press: London.
1. Consumer Credit Models. (2016). China Financial Publishing House: Beijing, ISBN: 9787504984111, Mandarin edition of Consumer Credit Models: Pricing, Profit and Portfolios by Lyn Thomas, 2008, Oxford University Press: London.
Concept momentum in the Chinese stock markets.
A non-parametric method to predict bank failure.
Text mining of personal experiences of senior managers.
Lending strategy in P2P lending.
Modelling the severity and frequency of financial distress.
Invitations & presentations
Credit Scoring and Credit Rating (2020 Chengdu)
Credit Scoring and Credit Control (2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, Edinburgh)
China International Risk Forum (2016, Shanghai; 2019 Tianjin; 2020 Shanghai)
WRDS Advanced Research Scholar Program at the Wharton School of UPenn (2018, Philadelphia; 2019 Beijing)
International Conference on Internet Finance (2019, Hangzhou)
Workshop on Banking and Financial Stability at Deakin Business School (2019, Melbourne)
Sino-US Economist Fintech Innovation Forum (2018, Stanford)
International Conference on Corporate Governance in Emerging Markets (2018, Amsterdam)
International Conference on Energy Finance (2018, Beijing)
International Conference on Financial Markets and Institutions (2017, Chengdu)
International Finance and Banking Society (IFABS) Asia Conference (2017, Ningbo)
International Conference on Asian Financial Markets and Economic Development (2017, Nagasaki)
European Conference on Operational Research (2012, Vilnius, 2013, Rome; 2016, Poznan)
International Risk Management Conference (2015, Luxembourg; 2016, Jerusalem; 2017, Florence)
Joint Meeting of the Financial Education Alliance and the Central Taiwan Finance Association (2016, Taiwan; 2017 Jiangxi)
China-UK Microfinance and Rural Finance Conference (2015, Chengdu),
OR Annual Conference (2012, Edinburgh; 2013, Exeter)
YoungOR Conference (2011, Nottingham)
2 PhD in Finance: Aimin Li (2018-), Chen Feng (2019-)
2 DBA in Management: Xiaotang Tang (2019-), Hao Sun (2019-)
53 Master students in Finance/Financial Engineering/Credit Management
17 MBA&EMBA students and projects